Thursday, November 12, 2009

Finally, Halloween...

I always celebrate Halloween. I love it - the costumes, the weird and twisted way that Paganism and Christianity combined way back when, then got twisted up in modern times with Hollywood horror films. The spectacle that it is now amuses me, and what it once was interests me.

I did not expect to celebrate much of a Halloween this year. I did not pack costumes for any of us, we prepared the children well ahead of time for no trick-or-treating, etc. Besides, we were going to be TRAVELLING! To see Astérix & Obelix!!

We arrived home at 10:30 pm the night before Halloween from our trip. Halloween day, we took it very easy. I ran into town alone for groceries, while the children played with their viking helmets and Obelix helmets, and Astérix helmets, and little pink viking helmets. (Margo won't let me take a picture of her in it yet!)

There was an unexpected knock on door at 6:30 pm. The neighbourhood boys were at the door asking our boys to go around the hamlet for trick or treats! Euphoria!!! Not only would the boys get to go trick or treating, but they could actually wear their costumes from the Parc outside!!! They were out the door within five minutes, dressed fully in Roman soldier attire, and Astérix suit!! (Riley was thrilled, the youngest boy out there (3 and a half) kept calling him Astérix!)

They spent 45 minutes, and were thrilled beyond imagining with their evening. It was declared the BEST time ever!

Astérix (aka Riley) and Roman Soldier Boy (aka Carson) with the friendly neighbourhood zebra.


EYEBALLS!! Nom nom nom!



And my personal favourite from their "haul"...

(Devil's Farts)

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm so glad that Halloween worked out for you guys.

Did you get many 'trick or treaters' at your own door? Did you have anything for them?

Joy said...

We did get three trick-or-treaters - the neighbourhood buddies that brought Carson and Riley with them. (The other little boy was away with his family.) And I did have candy and Halloween balloons! on hand, just in case... :D