Thursday, April 29, 2010

Well, I now know how pronounce the name of "The Volcano" - Eyjafjallajokull (ay-yah-FYAH-lah-yer-kuhl).  That doesn't mean, of course, that I *can* say it, just that I now have the means to learn how to say it. 


I wrote these words at least a week ago, and had I continued this post, it would have been all angst and stress and oh, my, the unfortunate delay to our scheduled return to Canada, oh, my!  But, a few days later, and I know, in my gut, how fortunate we really were as we lived through those 6 extra days.  We had the luxury of hotel rooms and changes of clothing after baths, and lovely restaurant meals.  We visited the Frankfurt Zoo, and the Museum of Natural History.  We made it back to Canada, and all of our bags made it into the country before we did.  We paid minimal duty on our extra bottles of wine we brought back.  We had fun, and we made the most of this unexpected time in Germany.  As one friend put it, at least we weren't stranded by a snowstorm somewhere, completely airport-bound.  No indeed, we were not.

So, I am taking a moment to think back on our unexpected days in Frankfurt, and how much fun we all had together, and how good our children were at just hanging out, waiting for the plane.  They worked hard to be kind and patient with each other, and with us.  And it was a good time, despite the stress of not knowing if we would be able to fly as rescheduled, and defining what Plan B would look like, just in case. 

And for me, personally?  The unexpected grace from this delay just reaffirmed the knowledge that I wanted to be HOME.  Here.  In small-town Saskatchewan.  I didn't just miss the people here, or my "stuff".  I actually missed the place in which we are located.  Don't misunderstand me, there are still many things that I would like to have more access to, but we can figure out how to access more museums and many other "missing" things and so on without living next door to those attractions.  There are many little blessings that living here has graced us with, and all it took was a lot of distance, and much time away, to be able to recognize that.  People of the interwebs, I am so happy to say that I am HOME.  :)

5 comments:

josey said...

The kids and I would be happy to accompany you on a trip to the Meadow Lake museum anytime :-)

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Welcome home! Glad you arrived safely and that the delay worked out so well for you. I guess 6 days of hotels in Frankfurt could be dealt with by me... :)

Beth said...

Such a relief that you all got home ok!
And it's nice that you are appreciating your home turf so much!

Beth said...

BTW: "Joy Versus the Volcano" is pure LOL!

Joy said...

Josey - I haven't been to our local museum, yet. We must check it out this summer! :)

Tracey - Thanks! It is wonderful to be home, and Frankfurt really is a lovely city, with very friendly people. It sooo could have been worse.

Beth - Thank you. I was not liking the plan B or C that we had devised, had our flights been put off for another week. And I thought of you as I typed the label, lol!! Glad you liked it! :D