We drove into Gaillac, right at lunch hour, and guess which restaurant we spotted first?? McDonalds. Yes, we are guilty of consuming our first restaurant meal in France, at McDonalds. *hangs head in embarrasment and shame* (Or McDo, as we've heard it called from time to time.) In our defense, we were tired, it was right beside the supermarché where we were meeting G for school supply shopping, and it should be somewhat familiar, right? Well, right and wrong. There were similar aspects, but many more differences. We did not go through the "McDrive", but went inside to order, as we would take advantage of the +30 day and eat outside under the umbrellas, and let the kids play on the lovely new outdoor play structure. The food is the same, but different (read: no salt), and they don't have sweet and sour sauce for the nuggets in the Happy Meals. In fact, they seem to not have ever heard of it! (They do have mayo, for everything, though...) I actually can't really remember what I ended up eating, but I do remember how lovely that bottle of Perrier was, and how much Margo screamed because she didn't want to come down out of the play structure when it was time to go... Carson was finally able to push/pull her down the slide, thank goodness, because she was just out of my reach, I couldn't cajole her down for any amount of bribes, and I really didn't want to flash my knickers to all the parents watching in amusement by climbing in to get her, because I was wearing a skirt, of course, and climbing would have involved a lot of flashing. My modesty intact, though missing a large chunk of my sanity, we headed across the parking lot to the store.
Shopping for school supplies is actually something I rather enjoy doing. I have great memories as a kid getting ready for school, because we always got new school supplies, and the new crayons and pencils and bags were a thrill to my little soul. However, buying supplies for two children, in a foreign language, in a giant store crowded with parents doing last minute school supply shopping, when none of the things on the shelves is even familiar, with three tired, jetlagged, children in tow, well, it was not our finest 15 minutes. Which is how long we had help before our landlady just translated the items on the lists, gave up trying to find the items in the disarrayed and busy aisles, and headed off, probably for a drink. (And if I could have, I would have gone with her. ;p) Lloyd then arrived from purchasing and setting up our new cell phone, and took Margo off to find treasures (a new Dora DVD en français), and the boys and I continued picking out pencil cases and other items that required their input. Then, Lloyd and Margo came back, and he took all three kids to find a snack somewhere. I was then able to catch the eye of a helpful sales clerk, and in my halting French, ask for some help with the lists. The nice young gentleman then took the lists, zipped me up and down the aisles, back and forth, at dizzying speeds, and lo and behold, my cart was full!! So off to pay I went.
Back home, Riley was in a flurry of excitement that he would be starting Kindergarten in the morning, and was giddy all the rest of the day. Carson was a bundle of nerves, and almost in tears at the thought of being left at school the next day, without Mom or Dad, or knowing anyone else (except Riley). (He had never gone to preschool, or play group or school without knowing at least half the class before hand!) After we got the children to bed (and Riley finally to sleep) I went through the supplies again, and slowly figured out what belonged to whom, and what the heck it was called. I made notes about what was forgotten or missed (so I could go back the next day), and put names on everything, and packed the backpacks. By 01:00, I was finally able to crawl into bed. But wait! Riley was awake, again!! That little stinker dozed for an hour, then was up for an hour, alternately, ALL NIGHT LONG!! He was soooo tired, but still very excited, in the morning. Carson was still a pale bundle of nerves, but he didn't shirk from getting ready or going to school.
We made it to the school before 8:30 the next morning, and the parent group, APEL, was out in full force welcoming everyone, new and returning, to the school. By luck, the first person we chatted with had a son in Carson's class, so he got to meet a classmate before the school day officially started. We were introduced to Carson's teacher, and chatted for a moment, and got to see his classroom ahead of time. Also, we got to meet Riley's teacher, see his classroom as well, and were able to remind her/let her know that Riley was Anglophone, and didn't know much French, and where Carson was if Riley had any problems. Then the bell rang, and Carson wiped his eyes a few times before heading off to class, while Riley skipped merrily along to his classroom. Lloyd was a little upset at Carson's tears, but managed not to show the kids, I knew they'd be OK, and Margo was just outraged because, "Where's MY teacher?!?!".
(Carson in the school courtyard before school started.)
(Carson sitting in his new classroom)
(Riley sitting in his new classroom)
At 4:15, when we went to pick up the kids, Carson was beaming and confident again, and Riley started to cry once he caught sight of me in the playground. It turns out, he couldn't find his tablier to bring home with him, and he was very very upset. The poor kid didn't understand he had to leave his painting smock at the school, in the bucket. He wanted it home. And oh, was he tired... Luckily, Wednesdays are ALWAYS a day off school, so everyone had another day to rest and recover before going back again.
Three weeks in, the boys are enjoying school. Both boys are making friends, and Riley is starting to use a few words of French at school and not be so shy about it. In fact, Riley's complaint about school the second week in was the long days, and the fact that he couldn't stay at home every day to ride the bike we found for him. (He has never once complained about the language.) Carson is right at home at school, and the work he brings home is all well within his capabilities. His biggest challenge at school is teaching himself how to write cursive, because they hadn't learned that yet in Saskatchewan. Oh, and working neatly. ;)
Margo is mad at Riley because he leaves her every day to go to school, and she can't go too!! We will be inquiring shortly about putting her in school in January, for the mornings, so that she can learn the language and have some easy access to playmates, too. We'll keep you posted as that progresses.
Lloyd and I will be making our own rentrée, of a sort. We'll be teaching English to Carson's class, starting Tuesday, once per week... This will be a lot of fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment