I have this little list running through my brain. I add things to it from time to time, then it lays dormant for a while. Then, before too long, there is another item that makes its way onto the list. I am finally writing this list down, for the next time we embark on a similar adventure to this one. (Because we have decided that we are officially going to be doing this trip, or a shortened version of this trip, along with an eventual longer version of this trip, and this trip in a six week summer jaunt driving through France sort of thing, again. Our money is much better spent chasing language and cultural exposure, than on purchasing new leather furniture and things that the cats, and dog, and kids will just end up battering anyway. I can totally live with not-expensive furniture and appliances and cars and things, for the chance to do this again, and again, and again. Not that there is anything against swank furniture and appliances and expensive gadgets and doodads - I quite like them, myself. I, we, just like traveling and exploring a lot better...)
When this list in my brain first started, it was all about remembering things to make the transition here more comfortable for the children, while still packing lightly. And I did it. I packed lightly, considering. Considering that we were setting up a new household for seven months. That the children needed some toys and stuffed animals and familiar books, and blankets to be instantly at "home". Or at least "home-light". Our plan worked. Our children were comfortable, with familiar objects surrounding them in not-yet familiar surroundings. We were comfortable, and at home quickly in a lovely and charming home. But. BUT... I now have several things to add to the next list of comfort objects for my comfort during our next long-term stay away from home.
My own pillow.
More English books. (Lloyd can read the French ones, but I am a little below the Harry Potter level.)
My robe. (Seriously, I cannot believe that this did not make the final suitcase. Perhaps I mixed up two piles of clothes in those last sleepless days, and this was meant to make it in the suitcase instead of the pants and top that require serious alterations. *rolls eyes*)
My old yoga pants and hoodie. Because nothing spells comfort like these soft, familiar clothing items.
My favourite teatowels.
My neck wrap, that can be heated or chilled, and is lightly scented with lavender. Ahhh, I miss your calm, warm comforting weight on my shoulders!
In all honesty, there are not a lot of things that we miss most of the time, and yet at other times, I miss everything most dreadfully. We are in a situation of being sort of half moved. We have left so many items behind, but have taken a lot with us. It would have been much easier (with a greater return on our financial investment re: Long Term Stay Visa, and the medical certificate) in some ways to stay for longer (say, 2 years), and just moved, with pets and books and toys and Lloyd's tools. (He misses his tools, and having little projects to work on.) I miss my pots and pans, and baking gear. We never really felt this "missing" phenomenon until after four months of being here, or so. Apparently, that is how long I can remain transient, and not embedded in my own little nest with my own little objects.
I am sure that, when we are packing to come home, I will come across things that we just haven't used while we are here, and hopefully, those things are few and infrequent. As we pack, I'll make a list of Things to Leave Behind next time. :)
My neck wrap, that can be heated or chilled, and is lightly scented with lavender. Ahhh, I miss your calm, warm comforting weight on my shoulders!
In all honesty, there are not a lot of things that we miss most of the time, and yet at other times, I miss everything most dreadfully. We are in a situation of being sort of half moved. We have left so many items behind, but have taken a lot with us. It would have been much easier (with a greater return on our financial investment re: Long Term Stay Visa, and the medical certificate) in some ways to stay for longer (say, 2 years), and just moved, with pets and books and toys and Lloyd's tools. (He misses his tools, and having little projects to work on.) I miss my pots and pans, and baking gear. We never really felt this "missing" phenomenon until after four months of being here, or so. Apparently, that is how long I can remain transient, and not embedded in my own little nest with my own little objects.
I am sure that, when we are packing to come home, I will come across things that we just haven't used while we are here, and hopefully, those things are few and infrequent. As we pack, I'll make a list of Things to Leave Behind next time. :)
2 comments:
Aw Joy, I'm sure your stuff misses you too! It's so funny to realize that the things we miss most are generally old and comfy. Can't wait to see you :)
LOL! Thanks Josey! The return is fast approaching. I am working on sorting through "stuff" here, so that I can send back a small suitcase each with my two sisters that will be here next weekend. Funny, knowing that in two months we'll be coming home!!! I can't wait to see you, too!
Post a Comment