When I picked the children up at school today for lunch, they were very excited to tell me that they had crêpes for snack that morning. When I asked them why, Carson replied that "today is the day that the Christians eat crêpes to celebrate Jesus, or something". Oookay, then. Clearly I was missing something from somewhere, and a bit of research was in order for the afternoon.
A blog post, a couple of Google searches, and a hastily revised dinner-plan later, I now know what Carson was talking about! Today is la Chandeleur, or Candlemas, and we will enjoy the delicate tastes of crêpes this evening along with a great many other French people. Oddly enough (and this is something that has not occurred to me until I began reading up on la Chandeleur), today is also Groundhog Day, and there is some ancient thread tying our North American Groundhog Day traditions with the pagan origins of Candlemas. Sort of. I'm pretty sure. (Feel free to correct me if I'm way off base, here. Inquiring minds, and all that!)
So... Happy Groundhog Day, and enjoy your Crêpes!!!
2 comments:
Yes, Happy Ground Hog Day and 6 more weeks of winter!!!! Hugs, IJB
Thanks, Jean! That means we'll be home after winter then??? ;p
Post a Comment