The City of Carcassonne was a wondrous delight. Listed as a UNESCO world heritage site in 1997, it is a thrilling and important piece of world history. 2,500 years of history are contained on this site, and are apparent if one knows where to look. We walked through the city by ourselves this trip, choosing not to go on a guided tour, but we marveled at the form and the function and the overwhelming endurance of the City. We stood on Roman towers that date from the 4th century. My children shot imaginary arrows through the machiolations and the arrow loops, that once were used in bloody battles of politics and dominance and religion. We walked the perimeter of the walls, and I imagined walking this very same path several hundred years ago, in the cold, dark, lonely night of wintertime, watching for signs of impending attack.
I plan to visit Carcassonne many more times in my lifetime. It calls to a part of my soul, and I look forward to learning more of her past, and her secrets.
Carcassonne, a model of mediaeval military architecture, was one of the greatest restauration sites in 19th century Europe. The original 4th century enclosure was still protecting the city during the siege of 1209. From 1226, the city was fortified by a second enclosure, which was modernised at the end of the 13th century by the kings of France.
- from www.monuments-nationaux.fr
Check out this link to see more photos of Carcassonne on Flickr...
5 comments:
Amazing! I can see why you want to return again and again. :)
Great pics on Fickr! I love the shot of the gamers playing the eponymous game!
Also-thanks for the captions on all the photos!
Hi Amber! I am secretly hoping that we can squeeze in another trip before we leave, but I doubt it. Maybe if my friend comes for a visit on his travels around the world, but otherwise, I am hoping to stay for a night or two in Carcassonne next time we are in France. :)
Thanks Beth! It was too good an opportunity to pass up, even though they saw me take their picture, and packed up their game shortly after that. ;)
Post a Comment