Monday, March 8, 2010

Winter (not so)Wonderland

I should be posting pictures of our walk through Lisle-sur-Tarn at the beginning of February, and of our visit the other week to Carcassonne, and to the Viaduct in Millau.  But, I can't get past the fact that it is snowing again.  Again!  The children are thrilled, but I am not. :( I was just starting to warm up, and this extra cool humidity is not helping with that goal.  The school buses are not running today in the Tarn, there are restrictions for big trucks on the roads, and there was an accident in Albi snarling traffic at one of the exits.  While we don't need to go into (or out of) Albi today, it just underscores how not used to snow this area is, and how many things grind to a near halt when it does snow.  And this year, it has snowed a lot.  Which, OK.  I am from Saskatchewan, so I am used to snow.  But the humidity here is something else.  Saskatchewan is very dry, year-round.  Plus?  I have central heating in Saskatchewan.  And R40 (or more) insulation in my house, with double-glazed, argon filled windows.  And weather stripping around the doors.  All of which means that I am very warm and snug in my little house, regardless of how not-charming it is with its vinyl siding, and bland walls, and lack of architectural features.  (My heart goes pitter-patter on a regular basis here, as I soak in the varied and interesting architecture on the homes and other buildings here in Europe.  Barcelona was a particular treat to drive around in, with Gaudi's buildings providing such delightful counterpoint to the more traditionally thrilling architecture.)

I like warm.  I NEED warm.  I am a very cranky cold person. Just ask my husband. 

On second thought, don't ask him.  I'm sure that the truth will be less than flattering.  lol!

And to add insult to imagined injury, it was +6 back home yesterday afternoon at 14:00.  It was just that here!!   It has been a pretty mild winter in Saskatchewan, overall.  Trust us to miss a mild winter back home, for a wild and woolly one, here!  lol!


 
The view from my kitchen door at 10:00 this morning.


 
Lloyd walking across the backyard to feed the neighbour's chickens. 

5 comments:

Beth said...

I especially like the second picture-it's got a real "winter Wonderland" look.
Too bad about the weather though. It's freezing cold here, too -and I'm more than ready for spring.


Looking forward to those vacation pictures!

Joy said...

I think that March is, generally, not a pleasant month. Winter is long, and dark, and then around March we start to get teased with random lovely days that let us know that spring is near. And then we get a blast or two to remind us that winter is not over yet!! Here or home, March is a bit tough to get through, for me.

And the vacation pictures will be posted soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi VJS!!! Bwahahahahahaha - too funny! Although we are supposed to get wet flurries this afternoon/evening as well - which sucks as I am suffering from HUGE spring fever...! In any event, enjoy the white stuff!!!! haa haa hee hee *MDR*

Yours, IJB

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh, but that VIEW! It's spectacular.

Joy said...

Tracey, yes, the view is very beautiful, regardless of the weather. :)

Jean (IJB) - Good thing you are my sister, laughing at me like that... ;) Watch out, eh? I'll be back soon!