Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Visit With My Little Sisters, Part 3. The Salvador Dali Edition

On our way home from Barcelona, we stopped in Figueres at the Salvador Dali museum.  I don't quite know what to say about this collection of Salvador Dali's work, nor what it says about me, that I liked best the works of another artist exhibited therein.  I did like many of the pieces of art in the museum, and thrilled to a few others.  Some of it (much of it?), I just looked at, and wondered, WHY?  But, at the very least, it all had me thinking, and as I said, some of absolutely thrilled me.  The children didn't last long, although Carson really liked the "face".  So, Lloyd took the children to have an early lunch, and I wandered around alone, then met up with my sisters to go through the rest of the exhibit together...















 This museum was a three-dimensional display, with a new view from every angle, and every floor of the twisty, niche-filled, labyrinthine building.   From the view through a window on an upper floor of these golden statues, to the ring of sinks just above the top view of this photo...





 There were varied and odd sculptures placed within the centres of the spiral staircases...




And the outside of the building is unique in its own right.


 (I like the eggs on the top of the building.)



As I said above, my favourite piece in the building is not by Salvador Dali, 
 



although his magnificent tree is my second favourite of the entire display.
 
(Perhaps I shall work this tree of life into my own stylized version of my future, theoretical tree of life tattoo.  Or not.  Maybe.  ;p )


 
(The boys particularly liked this nose/ear swap bust.)


 
(This pile of tires, the included bust, the overall scale of the tower of tires, and just the combination of vastly different media, made for an interesting train of thought, for me.)



Yes, I am still very much processing this unique, visual experience.  :)
I look forward to going back again some time in the future, after some research about Dali and his art.  And when the children are older, and better able to appreciate it.






No comments: